Sunday, May 6, 2018

I'm not an artist: Jugs, Jars, and Pots from The Adventure of Link

Here are another five items from Zelda II: The Adventure of Link drawn by me some time in February 2018.

Magic Jar: This is the perfect ceramic vessel to hold sanctified waters necessary to complete the reconsecration of a lost temple. It could also hold a fine wine, dragon's blood, or any old potion that didn't come in a clear round flask. I meant for this to be about the size of a large jug of wine but it could fit many different scales based on your needs. 


Hammer: This is inspired by Japanese blacksmithing hammers. I used a single Japanese smithing hammer in my metal working class in college. The look and feel of that hammer was different enough from all the other hammers available that it really made an impression. 
This drawing could be the hammer of the a nation's finest smith, the holy implement of a cult of forge-priests, the hidden hammer of a god, or a simple hammer to shape metal and pound nails. It could even be cursed to make its bearer see all their problems as nails. Hunting down a hammer wielding serial killer who has left a trail of viciously bludgeoned bodies is an excellent introductory adventure for would be heroes in a fantasy Edo era setting. Especially when their commanding officer picks up the hammer and becomes possessed by the murderous spirit inside. What will the heroes do to ensure they can protect the people from their commander without dishonoring themselves or their unfortunate commander?
I have never felt a super close connection with any of the hammer items in the Zelda franchise. I remember thinking the hammer in A Link to the Past was super goofy and all the other hammers have been guilty by association. 

Key: This key might fit a less typical lock than the last key I posted. This is a good key to have when there is a more difficult to pick lock or to show off that the lock is of foreign or even extraplanar origin. It could also be that one must know exactly how far to insert the key into the lock to open the lock instead of springing the deadly trap. Aside from anything exceptional or sinister, this could also just be how dwarves, or southerners, or moonites make all their keys. 

Magic Jar: Another magic jar already? This one fills the magic meter up to full so it had to be bigger. This amphora has a swirl symbol on it that could be some indicator of its contents. It could be filled with sustaining mana, gusts of wind, pure madness, or more simply, water or wine. This could also be a vessel of endless water that belonged to the great water bearer of myth. It might even be the sought after artifact hiding in plain sight because its description got it very wrong.

Magic Container: I promise this is the last container of overtly magic fluid for this set. If you need a cauldron or pot for a coven to be dancing and chanting around, this has got you covered. I didn't want to make this obviously evil or good so I just went with the phases of the moon to borrow mystical credibility from witch milieu. 
 I should have made the cauldron body black, but I was hesitant to commit to a lot of ink when I was drawing earlier this year. Not to say that, as of writing this, I have mastered bold blacks, but I am working to improve the overall balance of light and dark in these drawings. 

I realize that I misquoted the title of the second Zelda game in my last post. I erroneously stated that the game was The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure. I personally think it is a better name but it isn't the actual name of the game. 

As always, these five images are free for your personal use. Please give me credit if you repost them and don't gain or prosper from my work without my consent. 

Keep on swimming. 
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment