Sunday, May 20, 2018

I'm not an artist: The last five from The Adventure of Link

Here are the last five items from The Adventure of Link.

Candle: The candle is used to star fires and burn away barriers to secret areas. This is a handheld candle based flame thrower. It needs an accelerant and candles or another flame to function. I would rule that each candle would only have 1 - 3 uses before being burnt down to a nub and there would be no more than six shots of flame in the jar. The heat shield around the flame also functions as a focusing mirror that directs most of the candles light forward similar to the bullseye lantern.


Trophy: In Zelda II, this is the focus of a fetch quest that sees Link fight through a dangerous monster-infested desert to return this item in exchange to learn magic to overcome the white man's inability to jump. This is great for an angelic idol that needs to be retrieved but it could also represent a statue as a location. In the unlikely event that the only highly detailed statue in the room eventually animates, this could be used to represent that creature. 

Kidnapped Child: It is hard to depict a child in such a way to clearly communicate the fact they have been kidnapped. I chose to have this be the basket Krampus carries the truly bad children away from their families. Based on the dimensions of the limbs coming out of the basket, the child is either tucked into an extra-dimensional space or chopped up into little pieces so they all fit. I will say that I intended the basket to be bigger on the inside. If you need this to be a basket of chopped up people, more power to you. This could also be a macabre way to give your party a bag of holding that they won't likely forget. 

Heart Container: This is my favorite heart container item I have drawn. I think the necklace I drew previously works perfectly well, but I really like this charm bracelet. Whenever the wearer fails a death save or drops to negative hit points, one of the heart charms shatters and then they stabilize. One can only "refill" the hearts by landing the killing blow on a creature that is a reasonable threat to the wearer. Refilling the hearts could be a question of morals if the requirement is taking the life of a helpless creature instead of simply landing a killing blow on an enemy. This could also just be a charm that makes the person irresistible, or a charm of protection powered by the love the crafter felt for the wearer. 

Doll: I drew this right as the Christmas season was wrapping up in the U.S. Elf on the Shelf was on my mind and I didn't know what I wanted to do with a hidden doll that gives Link an extra life when discovered. This doesn't just have to be a holiday elf doll sitting on a shelf. It could be a soul doll created by a winter witch in the far northlands. Or it could be an evil puppet concerned with avenging its creator or just having its particular version of a good time
A less malevolent option could be that this doll is one of many magic dolls made by a benevolent magician to assist in creating and delivering gifts to all the goodly children on the night of the Winter Solstice. This helper dolls are tireless and sing the same few songs as they complete their work. 


Next week we will not have a new drawing from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Instead, I will post all of the cards for The Adventure of Link in one file that includes a page of both card backs to use in your personal games. 

This blog continues to be a great creative outlet for me even though I know empirically I am currently the only person looking at it. If you have any interest in making anything, get out there and make stuff. Even if you only make stuff for yourself, it feels wonderful to be creative. This all started when I did Inktober in 2016. I knew I found something I truly enjoyed and have been loving the learning process ever since. I know I am not the most talented artist, but every once-in-a-while I create something that I am pretty proud of and it makes all the not-so-great pieces matter less. This is just a rambling call to action to say that you should get out there and create. You will be better for it in the end of all things. 

-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment