Sunday, March 25, 2018

I'm not an artist: A piece of the Tri-Force and four other drawings from the Legend of Zelda

We are back with five more drawings of items from the 1984 Legend of Zelda

Triforce: Even though the Triforce is such an important part of the Zelda series, I didn't have an  interesting concept. I ended up with a triangular piece of stone with a hole in the middle. Other than being a third of the ultimate power, this could be an alien artifact, a puzzle piece, or a very uncomfortable ring.


Stepladder: The art for step ladder from the game's manual makes the object look a lot more sturdy than my incarnation. This would be a good way to represent a rickety ladder or bridge that was just as much of an obstacle as it is an avenue to progress. Maybe put some loot on the other side of a chasm and the only way across is this janky ladder. 

Key: A simple yet fundamental item. Whether you are picking the pocket of a commoner or looking under the welcome mat at the entrance to a dungeon, this is the key that will open up the first step of an adventure. 

Compass: This is more of an indication of a compass than an actual object itself. I couldn't find a shape I liked around what I had already drawn so I accepted what I had and moved on. This could be a way to show direction, or it could be a pressure gauge or a dial that needs to be finely tuned.  

Power Bracelet: What you see is my attempt at drawing the power bracelet from Link's Awakening. When I was trying to find inspiration I saw the image and it felt right. When I was drawing the items from Link's Awakening, I realized I couldn't use this concept. It looks more like a ring than a bracelet because I forgot a sense of scale when I did the drawing. This could be an item that provides the strength to lift pots and rocks clear over your head. It could also be a levitation item where the uses hits the "up" or "down" arrow to control their altitude. 

I am not in love with any of these five. I do like the heavy contrast on the Triforce piece and I wouldn't be embarrassed showing someone the power bracelet as long as they didn't know it was supposed to go around a wrist instead of a finger.

I will try to post some other types of content eventually. Maybe an attempt at a One Page Dungeon or some of my homebrewed content from my game. 

Have fun out there. 
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment