Sunday, March 10, 2019

I'm not an artist: Five items from Ocarina of Time you could find in a medical office.

Five items from Ocarina of Time you could find in a medical office.

Prescription: When Link takes the broken goron’s sword to the Biggoron to be fixed, the giant smith advises our hero that they are unable to work due to suffering from irritated eyes. Thanks to the Biggoron’s hardy constitution, they only need some prescription strength eye drops and not anything more serious like a surgical procedure or a restoration spell.
This is by no means an unreasonable thing to happen to a person in their line of work. History is full of smiths and other craftspeople damaging or entirely losing one or both of their eyes. I remember reading an article that posited that the cyclopean or disabled depictions of various smith gods was a reflection of the toll their work on the body. Early smiths were exposed to toxic chemicals and dangerous conditions without any modern protections, leaving many to suffer serious illness. Many professions in the past left the professional facing serious health concerns due to the conditions of their work.

I never saw myself as one of those people who would loot in the wake of a disaster, but this storm took everything from me. Since the power grid and the cell networks are both unstable, pharmacies are having to go back to pen and paper orders for prescriptions. If I can find some pads, I might be able to sell or trade them to get food for my family.


Eyeball Frog: The world’s finest eye drops can only be created from the essences of the Eyeball Frog. The prescription the Biggoron gives Link allows Link to receive the delicate frogs from King Zora. Since modern refrigeration techniques are not available to Link, he must rush the eyeball frog to the scientist operating the Lakeside Laboratory before the frog spoils. Link must ride his trusty horse Epona if he is to have any chance to get to the laboratory in time.

When I was a kid, doctor’s offices always had aquariums full of fish in the waiting room. Back then I could watch the fish float for hours. Creeping through the office, I almost had a heart attack when the silence was broken by the croak of a huge vibrant frog in a terrarium. I guess doctors have frogs now instead of fish. I can’t believe I am sad about frog tanks instead of fish tanks during the worst disaster in fifty years.

World’s Finest Eyedrops: Made from the apparently delicious eyes of the eyeball frog, the World’s Finest Eyedrops are the perfect remedy for the Biggoron’s eye irritation. Unfortunately, the eye drops are only effective for a limited time and cannot survive being magically teleported. Link must run from Lake Hylia all the way to the top of Death Mountain in four minutes. A difficult task that was exceedingly maddening when I recently replayed Ocarina of Time.

The storm caused part of the roof to collapse into the private office, and I think I found the poor doctor pinned under the rubble. No one could have survived being crushed like that, so I don’t feel as bad grabbing these bottles from the desk. Maybe they are worth something to somebody. 
Jesus, something must have shifted because more of the roof came crashing down. At least the rubble must have covered the doctor. I didn’t see the body when I scrambled out of the office. I did end up losing a few of those bottles in all the commotion. I’m heading back to the emergency camp to see what I can get for these supplies.

----------

If you were looking for the broken goron sword, we covered it back here.

Next week we will finish the trading sequence and start into the wonderful world of things that come in jars.

Please use my work personally however you see fit, but do not profit off my efforts without my consent.

As always, be excellent to everyone.
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment