Sunday, August 25, 2019

I'm not an artist:Six items from Majora’s Mask found on a camping trip.

Six items from Majora’s Mask found on a camping trip.

Moon’s Tear: These gems are apparently the brightest gem in all of Termina. They are also exclusively found falling from the eyes of the moon’s terrifying face. The gems' beauty and rarity combine to make them extremely valuable. To obtain such a rare and expensive jewel, Link must observe one fall from the moon using the telescope in the Astral Observatory. Link can trade this stone to the Business Scrub in Clock Town for the deed to the Clock Town Deku Flower. This is the first trade in the chain of real estate transactions Link engages in with various Business Scrubs. 

When I was young, my parents would take the family on a long camping trip at the height of summer. High up in an old cedar on the western slope of the Cascades, I found a dead body whose parachute had snagged in the tree’s branches. Unable to contain my curiosity, I went through the corpse’s pockets and found a lustrous jewel wrapped in a hand-drawn map and a revolver with six spent shots.


Fishing Hole Pass: Added in the 3D rerelease of Majora’s Mask for the 3DS, these passes cover the 50 rupee cost of fishing at a fishing hole. Link can obtain these as rewards for completing minigames or completing side quests again after receiving their primary reward in another cycle.

Serenity Lake is a popular spot for fishing because the lake’s remarkable depth leads to an unusually diverse variety of fish. To ensure that the overly enthusiastic fishing does not decimate the fish populations fishing permits, good for five catches, are required for all wanting to fish. Park rangers are empowered to arrest any they find fishing without a permit, which is often used to explain the fact that at least one or two overeager anglers go missing at the lake every year.

Bottle: Link must have some special pockets to hold six or seven bottles, depending on the version of the game, without having any of them break in all his jumps and falls. Bottles hold useful items and Link gathers a growing collection of bottles as he completes various quests and side quests throughout his journey in Termina. I would go through how Link obtains each bottle in Majora’s Mask, but that would be a bit tedious. The best way to find out is to go out and find them by playing the game!

My mother worked in the natural sciences department at Vess University. She was always on the lookout for interesting specimens while we were camping and hiking. By the time we were striking camp, my mother had inevitably found a menagerie of predatory bugs, toxic reptiles, and exotic flora I’d never seen before and seldom saw again.

Bug: Link can catch wild bugs in an empty bottle. If he releases the captive bugs near a patch of soft soil, he is rewarded with some goodie such as a useful item or hidden golden skulltulas in the Swamp Spider House.

Sometimes my mother would describe or show me a drawing of a specimen she was hoping to find on our trip. I remember diligently searching the wilderness, often spending entire days trying and failing to even spot any sign of the creatures. One of my greatest triumphs was when I caught a gold bellied bark spider, whose natural camouflage makes is nearly invisible unless one spots its glittering underbelly as it moves.

----------

Hold onto your butts because we have lots of items that come in bottles on the way. In the coming weeks, you can look forward to such amazing things as disembodied souls, plant princesses, fish, and lots of milk. Stick around for the most fun you can fit in a bottle. 

I haven’t fallen in love with any of the bottles I have drawn for this project yet. I may try to draw nine unique bottles for the bottles that appear in Wind Waker instead of trying to do a single bottle and filing it with various fluids. Only time will tell. I’m currently drawing Oracle of Seasons and that has been going slow with my life demanding most of my attention and time.

Please use my work personally however you see fit, but do not profit off my efforts without my consent. 

Be excellent to everyone.
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment