Sunday, May 5, 2019

I'm not an artist: Five items from Majora’s Mask owned by dark spirits.

Five items from Majora’s Mask owned by dark spirits.

Kokiri Sword: This is the same sword that Link earned during his adventures in the Ocarina of Time, but it has had some work done since it has a different hilt than the one seen in Hyrule. 

A well-respected chef, Enid had hit a plateau in her art. For months she struggled to create something new or exciting, growing more and more frustrated with every dish that was good but tragically uninspired. In her desperate search for inspiration, Enid discovered an encyclopedia of taboo recipes that were begging to be created by Enid’s willing hands, but their main ingredient would be murder for her to find. 


Razor Sword: For the cost of 100 rupees and an entire day, one-third of Link’s entire time available to save the world, the Kokiri sword can be reforged into the impressive Razor Sword. Unfortunately, this is a temporary improvement. Through video game magic, or possibly magic magic, the sword reverts to the weaker and shorter Kokiri sword after 100 strikes. 

On a personal note, I will always remember seeing an image of Link wielding this sword in a magazine article on Majora’s Mask when I was a child. I thought it was the coolest sword I had ever seen. When I eventually got the Gilded Sword, I remember being let down that I was stuck with such a lame looking weapon. I think my deep affection for this sword explains how little artistic license I took.

A great hero was prophesied to confront the great evil within the Bastion of the Crimson Tide. A hero did indeed confront the threat, a dark reflection of the hero mercilessly wielding a wicked greatsword. Most assumed the hero was destined to succeed, but the prophecy only spoke of the confrontation. In the end, the hero fell to the blade of their own dark twin, leaving the clone free to wander the realms in search of a challenger that could prove their equal.

Gilded Sword: If Link can emerge as the victor of the Goron Race, the Gold Dust given as a prize can be used to reforge his Kokiri Blade into the Gilded Sword. Mechanically, this sword is the best in the game, but visually it is a complete letdown. Instead of something akin to that meh-tastic sword, I went with another important blade from my childhood for this drawing.

Riding at the head of their risen legions, the undead warmaster has been waging a crusade to extinguish all life for nearly a decade. The souls of those slain by the warmaster’s infamous runeblade are pulled into the blade and consumed by the dread general to fuel their eternal life. A sliver of the warmaster’s essence inhabits the sword and whispers into the minds of any nearby living beings, eventually driving most to madness. 

Hero’s Shield: This doesn’t match Link’s starting shield at all. In fact, this would have been more applicable for one of the many wooden shields that Link begins his various adventures with. 

I actually love this drawing, it isn’t perfect but I am always happy when I think of the process of drawing it and I am pleased by the end result.

Since she began hunting for her own meat, Enid’s skills and confidence with her knives has grown tenfold. Ever the boundary pusher, Enid has tested her skills against increasingly healthy and muscular prey. After a few close calls, Enid now stalks her hunting grounds with this makeshift buckler that also doubles as a cutting board when she must quickly butcher a kill.  

Mirror Shield: The mirror shield is found in the haunted maze at the bottom of a well. Light reflected off the mirrored surface kills the undead instantly.

The Collector is a mysterious figure, known only for their strange shield and their participation in the soul trade. This grim shield appears to be a woeful being trying to pull its way through the fabrics separating this realm from the next. Few know that truth about the Collector’s unique shield. It is a one-way passage to the Well of Souls, a demiplane where the souls gathered by the Collector wait for some as-yet-undiscovered purpose.

----------

So I watched all the cutscenes for Mortal Kombat 11 during this week, because I know that I won’t have the time to play the game myself. Being an adult is a bummer sometimes. That MK 11 floating around in my brain has definitely filtered into at least the last item’s narrative.

Please use my work personally as you see fit, but do not profit off my efforts without my consent.

Make sure to be excellent to everyone.
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment