Sunday, November 24, 2019

I'm not an artist: For my 100th post here are five items from Oracle of Ages used during heists.

Five items from Oracle of Ages used during heists.

Switch Hook: While superficially similar to the classic hookshot, the switch hook has one distinct difference that makes in a very interesting item in its own right. When the switch hook strikes an object or enemy, Link switches places with whatever was struck by the hook. Some objects are too fragile to be moved in such a way and break when they arrive at Link’s location. This is a really fun mechanic that could be added to a game, but it would require some finesse as it could be easily abused and isn't very realistic. The switch hook is found in the Skull Dungeon in the current era Symmetry Village. It can only be entered after Link solves the chaos plague the village, but we will cover that when we get to the tuni nut

I probably should have just drawn a menacing meat hook ala the Warcraft abomination for the switch hook, but I am only thinking that now. Maybe I didn’t want to be too obvious then, or I really wanted to try to draw a grappling hook with all its internal perspective angles. I no longer remember. 

Where there are walls, there are people looking to get past walls. Grappling hooks have been used for centuries by rogues to slip into manors and estates. While technologically advanced versions of the grappling hook exist, the original is often the most reliable. 


Long Hook: Just as the longshot extends the range of the hookshot, the long hook increases the range the switch hook can shoot. This opens up areas Link previously locked out of by distance. The long hook is found in the belly of the massive Zora patron Jabu-Jabu during the present era. In the past, Jabu-Jabu is too little to have an entire dungeon inside of themself. 

For professional thieves working after the surveillance revolution, every piece of their gear must be as compact as possible. The multi-tip gaussian pistol weighs less than a wrench and appears as a smartphone with an extended battery on scanners. The hand-held device can be outfitted to fire magnetic grappling hooks, darts, or bullets depending on the user's needs.

Shovel: Ah the shovel, one of my favorite item categories in Zelda games. I remember the first time I ever got a shovel in a Zelda game was in Oracle of Seasons. I was blown away that I could dig up almost all the ground in the overworld. I felt like I had real power in the game. Looking back that isn’t as true as I felt it was, but there are some interesting moments Link can experience by digging up seemingly random patches of dirt. In Oracle of Age, Link is given the shovel by a construction worker to help clear out piles of dirt in the Black Tower during its construction in the past era.

Not all thieves tools look like tools a thief would use. Sometimes the best tool isn’t a lock pick or a climbing rope but a disguise. The often ignored gardener walks the grounds as they please, and no one questions when they install supports for ivy to climb up all the way to the balcony of the master suite.

Bomb: Link is rewarded with his first bombs by Queen Ambi after fulfilling her bounty for mystery seeds. The queen is only searching for the seeds because Veran asked her to gather the rare seeds. Once he gets those first bombs, he can find explosives in long-abandoned jars, freshly cut grass, and even buried in the dirt as well as buying them from shops across Labrynna.

Military sappers retiring from active duty find their skills only apply to the life of a miner. While dangerous, mining lacks the excitement many grew accustomed to in their service. To avoid whiling away the rest of their lives in a mine, some sappers take their chances tunneling into secured vaults.

----------

Thank you for reading all the way to the bottom of the 100th post on this blog. While technically some of the posts were just saying the next post will be delayed or skipped, this is the 100th page I have made in this project. I am actually surprised that I have made it this far with the project. I still don't feel that I am by any means a competent artist, but I have really enjoyed taking a skill seriously and putting the time in to get better at it. Here's to the next 100 posts, may they be of adequate content.

Please use my work personally as you see fit, but do not profit off my efforts without my consent.

Be excellent to everyone. 
-Ceph

No comments:

Post a Comment