Friday, July 9, 2021

Axe Week: Bruenor Battlehammer's Dwarven War Axe

Bruenor Battlehammer's Dwarven War Axe

Flaming Silver Dwarven War Axe: Growing up in the frozen lands of Icewind Dale Bruenor always dreamed of reclaiming his clan’s ancestral home, Mithril Hall, from a great Shadow Dragon and its horde of minions. Eventually, Bruenor and his companions rediscovered and liberated Mithral Hall from its shadowy occupiers.  Reconquering one long lost dwarven city wasn’t enough to sate Bruenor’s lust for adventure, so he set off to find Gauntlgrym where his axe was silvered and enhanced with flame by the gods.

There doesn’t seem to be a pithy name for Bruenor’s axe, so I just went with how it would appear on a character sheet. I know his axe is eventually referred to as Flametongue, but that seems to be a holdover from how earlier editions and other fantasy authors referred to weapons that are magically enchanted with flame.

In doing the slightest bit of research, I read the description of Bruenor’s axe as a heavy single bladed axe. This description matches the art for the Magic: The Gathering cards for Bruenor Battlehammer, but it doesn’t match the weapon used by the Bruenor in the new Dark Alliance video game.

Speaking of the Magic D&D set, I was not sure how I felt about Magic doing a set in the Forgotten Realms. It isn’t a setting I’ve spent a ton of time in and I wasn’t sure if the set was anything but a money grab. After seeing all the previews for the set, I can say that it is exciting to see the spells, items, and themes I am so fond of from RPG's show up explicitly in a Magic set. Plus the art is amazing and inspiring. This will be a great set to randomly draw cards from to get inspired to write adventures or adapt to my players' unexpected whims.

Day five of axe week took us to the grand Mithral Hall. Tomorrow, we will be much smaller, but no less legendary. 

Be excellent to everyone.

-Ceph


 

No comments:

Post a Comment